Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Explanation of Teaching at Aeon

So everyone asked me before I left, “Do you speak Japanese?” and wondered how I could teach English if I didn’t speak Japanese. Well I now know the secret to Aeon teaching since I have completed 4 days of training and had my first day of actually mock teaching to actual Japanese students.

First foreign teachers are used as a marketing tool and a goal for the lower students to work to. The lower level students have a Japanese Teacher that helps them get up to a higher level and tells them if they work hard, they will be lucky enough to move up the foreign teacher. So we only teach students at the intermediate and advanced level students. Another one of our main duties is to interview prospective students or talk to people thinking about signing up. Aeon is first and foremost a business and makes its money by the new subscribes and return customers.

It is funny being a novelty here for speaking a language everyone I know speaks fluently. They all call me Kevin sensei which covets great respect in Japan. The classes are actually quite fun and engaging; you feel more like a cheerleader and facilitator than an actual teacher. The classes are very strictly standardized down to the minute but leave room for adlib and adjustment to your student’s level.

Right now the amount of information is almost overwhelming with having to learn Japanese, get used to my living environment, get used to jet lag, learn to teach and learning to speak “classroom English.” Classroom English is basically simplified English with hand gestures and signal to help your students understand what you are saying. For example instead of saying, “ok class, please open you text books to page 23 and Mr. Okada can you please read the instructions for the class out loud, the rest of you follow along and listen.” This is overly complicated for the class and almost nobody will understand you, instead you gesture (pointing is considered rude) Mr Okada read page 23. Sounds easy but the next time you give instructions to someone think about all the additional words and redundant words you used to give simple instructions.

I learned a lot of great things from my boss at Wilsey Ham on how to be a great employee and worker so it was interesting to see this new work environment and culture. For one, they are way more sensitive to business ethics, and being polite and rude at the work place. Such as you should never interrupt your boss if he/she is giving you criticism or justify why you made a decision. Instead you must listen to the whole suggestion and ask a question at the end that makes the manager see your point of view and let them give you another suggestion. For example if the boss comes in an tells me I need to speed my class up and not spend so much time correcting my students, I shouldn’t say well My Okada is kind of slow and I need to give him extra help. In stead I should listen to the whole suggestion and ask “well if Mr Okada is not getting the material and holding up my class how do you suggest I handle the situation?” This of course is expected only with manager and apprentice and people of the same level are allowed to debate. So basically the Boss must be treated with respect at all times with a more formal set of rules than back at home.

In Japan it is considered very disrespectful to be late ever. So everyone shows up to work 10-15 minutes early. I think this will help me since I am always late. No more Foster City time in Japan.

Everyone is also very picky about being well groomed and dress code. I wear an suit and tie to work every day. So after each day at work you should say "Otsukare sama deshita" or thank you for your hard work.



Web Site Counter

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeremiah Owyang said...

No more foster city time? You wear a suit and tie?

Someone remove this Kevin imposter!

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could never live there with rules like that!

Hi kev!

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home